Everyone remembers their first pet! Whether it was/is a cat, dog or a ferret, animals can be loving companions. The University of Wisconsin - Madison School of Veterinary Medicine offers their students a wide perspective of veterinary medicine.
The cool benefits of the SVM:
- Healing and caring for animals.
- Students are given the skills and information required to open their own practice.
- Learn from experienced and award winning faculty.
- The fourth year of the program is spent in the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital where the students have an opportunity to develop their skills in a real-life setting.
- Provide medical veterinary support to local Wisconsin farms.
- Students have the opportunity of working with private veterinarians and receive firsthand experience and knowledge of working with dairy cows and farms.
Programs Offered at SVM
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
This is a four-year professional degree program leading to Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. This program offers students the various skills required for the field. They are taught to recognize diseases by having a basic understanding of a healthy animal. Hands-on clinical experience allows students to get a feel for what they will encounter outside the school walls. Most importantly, they are taught the basic interpersonal and managerial skills required to operate their own practice in case they would like to do so.
Students must have a total of 60 college credits. These include 40 credits of mandatory courses and 17 credits of elective courses. Students are encouraged to earn some experience with animals and the the medical field. Please note that only 80 qualified applicants are accepted into the program each year. Of the mentioned 80 applicants, no more than 20 applicants can be a nonresident.
How to Apply?
To apply all students must complete the Veterinary Medical Colleges Electronic Application (VMCAS) and the Wisconsin's Required Data Form. Also, students are required to submit their GRE scores to the school before September 30. For more information and to obtain an application form please visit www.vetmed.wisc.edu/home.
Other Schools Offering Veterinary Medicine Training:
- Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Pullman, WA, www.vetmed.wsu.edu/.
- Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA, www.vetmed.vt.edu/.
- Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, MA, http://vet.tufts.edu/.
- University of Saskatchewan Western College of Veterinary Medicine, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, www.usask.ca/wcvm/.
- University of Prince Edward Island, Atlantic Veterinary College, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, www.upei.ca/avc/.
- University of Montreal Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Saint-Hyacinthe, Quebec, www.medvet.umontreal.ca/.