The hospitality industry is one of the biggest industries in the world. It consists of hotels, restaurants, country clubs, resorts, theme parks, state and national park operations, casino hotel and gaming operations, and many other industries. The School of Hotel Administration at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York is one of many schools that offer programs related to hospitality.
The cool benefits of Cornell University:
- It is considered to be a first-rate Ivy League school with a reputation for academic excellence in hotel management.
- There are about 60 full-time faculty members who are committed to the personal development of 850 students. The smaller classes allows the students to receive more attention and build a relationship with their professors.
- The school is widely composed of international students, which enables students to learn about other customs and languages.
- About 250 employers come to visit the school yearly and 100 companies offer students summer employment.
- Students enrolled in The Hotel School have an opportunity to practice what they have learned inside the classroom in the Statler Hotel and Conference Center. This 150-room hotel is situated in the center of the school's magnificent campus, set on a hill overlooking the splendor of Cayuga Lake.
- The campus is surrounded by three state parks and numerous waterfalls that offer serenity to students.
- The Nestlé Library, has one of the largest collections of hospitality related materials in the world, offering students access to numerous databases for research.
- School graduates are founders and/or senior managers of many multi-million dollar industries, such as, Burger King, Marriott Hotels, Dunkin Donuts, and Movenpick.
Programs Offered at The Hotel School
- Management Intern Program (BS Students)
The intern program allows students to gain experience working in a real life setting while gaining a salary for their services. Students don't feel confined to the walls of the school and they learn from some of the best professionals in their field of study.
- Master of Management in Hospitality (M.M.H.)
This two-year program is accredited by the American Assembly of Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB). The program mainly focuses on the hospitality and service industries and gives students an opportunity for hands-on experience.
- MS and Ph.D. Programs
These programs are intended solely for students who are considering teaching at a university level or performing research. Once you have been enrolled in the program you are required to form a committee. Together with the committee, you develop a program of study that best suits your interests and requirements. Unlike the M.M.H. Program, students must apply directly to Cornell University.
There are many factors which are taken into consideration when looking at school applicants. Students must have completed 16 compulsory Secondary School courses including 4 English courses, 3 math courses and 2 science courses (1 of these being chemistry). Also, each applicant must have completed their SAT I or ACT, TOEFL, and the SAT II in Writing and in Math. An interview is conducted on campus where the students are asked why they chose Cornell University. Finally, it is recommended that students study a different language for at least three years.
How to Apply?
Other Schools Offering Hospitality Programs:
- Arkansas Tech University, Russellville, AR, www.atu.edu/academics/catalog/colleges/applied_sciences/dept_parks_rec.html.
- Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College, Asheville, NC, https://www.abtech.edu/content/Business-and-Hospitality-Education/Hospitality-Management/Hospitality-Management-Overview.
- Cecil B. Day School of Hospitality Administration - Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA, http://hospitality.robinson.gsu.edu/academic-programs/.
- Florida International University - School of Hospitality Management, North Miami, FL, http://hospitality.fiu.edu/.
- School of Hotel Administration, Ithaca, NY, https://sha.cornell.edu.
- Vancouver Island University, Nanaimo, British Columbia, https://www2.viu.ca/hospitality/.
- University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, www.htm.uoguelph.ca/.