Do you often think of catchy phrases or jingles to common household items? Are you persuasive when you want something? Perhaps you should consider a career in Advertising Copywriting.
Why it's cool
- Copywriters are usually involved in an advertising campaign which includes writing all of the advertising related to the product. This would include posters, press releases, leaflets, brochures, websites, and radio or television scripts.
- Meet actors and models as part of casting for commercials and advertisements.
- One of the fastest growing industries. As media changes so does this profession.
- Never boring. This is a fast-paced career. Most copywriters work on several interesting projects simultaneously.
Requirements for the Job
- Good research skills and marketing sense.
- Having a sense of humor and ability to take things in stride.
- Able to write creatively and persuasively.
- Multitasking. Working on several different projects at once.
- Outstanding proofreading skills.
Most advertising copywriter positions require at least a bachelor degree in advertising, marketing, communications, English, journalism, psychology, media studies or other business courses. Even though most copywriters do have a Master's degree in one of the areas of study mentioned above, employers are more impressed with work experience and a great portfolio than the level of education.
Experience is key in the advertising field. When it comes to profit, companies do not want to take big risks. It is imperative to complete an internship during your post-secondary schooling to prove to future employers that you can do the job. Some smaller companies hire recent graduates to do small projects. Take advantage of these opportunities to gain experience and get your foot in the door.
Having a strong portfolio full of your most creative and outstanding ideas is also important. Employers need to see the quality of your work. Don't be afraid to use school projects (only those that you did exceptionally well in), creations you may have completed during any internships and those completed at other jobs. As you gain experience and your projects improve, don't forget to update your portfolio. It may come in handy later.
Career Path/Average Salaries
The median annual salary for copywriters is $38,063US or $41,100CND. This can change dramatically from state to state or the level of experience, and as your career progresses.
- Speech Writer
- Short Story Writer
- Self-instruction Manuals Writer
- Crossword Puzzle Maker
- New Media Writer
- You should consider this job if you score above average on the following Basic Interest Scales: Sales, Author-Journalism, and Stamina.
- Your JVIS Report should show one or all of the following occupation groups under your Top 3: Occupations in Writing, Sales Occupations, and Occupations in Merchandising.
For more information contact:
- American Marketing Association
311 South Wacker Drive, Suite 5800
Chicago, IL 60606
Tel: (800) AMA-1150
- Business Marketing Association
1833 Centre Point Circle, Suite 123
Naperville, IL 60563
- Canadian Marketing Association
1 Concorde Gate, Suite 607
Don Mills, ON M3C 3N6
Tel: (416) 391-2362
- Adweek Magazine
P.O. Box 15
Congers, NY 10920
Tel: (281) 419-5725